National Pan-Hellenic Council: www.nphchq.com - @nphchq
On May 10, 1930, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was founded at Howard University, in Washington, DC. The following were charter members of the organization: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.”
In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity joined the council.
In 1937, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined the council. The organization was also incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as the “National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
In and in 1997, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. joined the NPHC as its ninth (9) affiliate member.
NPHC MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS is comprised of the nine (9) International Greek-Lettered Sororities and Fraternities as follows:
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
1906 (Cornell University)
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1911 (Indiana University)
Omega Phi Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1911 (Howard University)
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
1914 (Howard University)
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
1963 (Morgan State College)
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
1908 (Howard University)
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
1913 (Howard University)
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
1920 (Howard University)
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
1922 (Butler University)